24 June, 2023

Seeking And Finding. Pt.2, Up On The Hill


A whole lot of it; me seeking fritillaries and a vast array of Horseflies seeking me.....


While both sets of hunters found their quarry, only one got to go home with something tangible,
 

Exciting Brown Butterfly!

You see the contrast to this;
 
Zzzzzzzzzz
 
*

o;)

High High Brown Fritillery, double wing shot!


Underwing, overwing,
fluttering free,
sucking on a Bramble whi-
AARGH! GetoffyadammHorsefly!!!


Ahem.

I will not apologise for mixing animé and Wombles.
[And speaking of... can you just imagine it? :D]

[THIS BLOG HAS BEEN SUSPNDED WHILE THE AUTHOR IS SECTIONED]






























[ELECTRO-CONVULSIVE THERAPY COMPLETED. POSTING MAY RESUME]


::Eyes Persons In White Coats.::
I am much better now and apologise for my previous actions.





Ok, they've gone.


Now, where was I?


Oh yes,

HBF.
Not a subtle insect.

Trying to hide

Dark Green Fritillary
trying a bit harder.

Though not always.

Dark Green rarely as helpful 
as High Brown, though.

"I'm just feeling a bit
crinkled, alright?"

Highs are brighter and
more uniform-looking

With a more pointed forewing.
**


Otherflies;

Small Heath.
Sometimes they're helpful,
sometimes less so.


Large Skippers laugh
at cowardly fritillaries.


"And we don't fear spiky things, either!"



I like skippers.
[Sometimes]

Brown Silver-line

Lots of these, flushed out from every other step in some spots!

Good year for grasshoppers

Small Gorse Mining Bee?

Heath Bee-fly

Elachista argentella

Also a good year for

Chaffinches!




It was really rather humid and horrid; except under the trees, where there was a mellow, cool, and generally pleasant environment and the Horseflies thought so, too....

While I was attacked so many times I lost count, and in return got 3 swats but nothing confirmed, I didn't get bitten [I LOVE Nosilife shirts and baggy trousers] so consider it a win. Allegedly, if you can arrive, find, photo, and leave before 0900, the Horseflies won't be around to get you. I am far too bad at getting up to find out if it's true, though.


And yes, despite the weather and frisky wannabe vampires, it was rather fun. 

In places, anyways.


Certainly once I found a nice area with lots of frits and no Horseflies, it was quite fun.
:)



Be Seeing You...




[[* Ok, maybe pushing it a bit, but I'm frankly offended that a post headlined by these is outdoing my Glorious Wonderful Lime Hawkmoth. For shame, peoples, for shame.***]]
[[** Also forewing dots, arrowheads vs crescents, white bits, and that's not counting the underwing green wash vs brown circles!]]
[[*** And the treatment of a post filled with Beautiful Scarce Chasers..? I just do not understand.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment