04 July, 2023

Over There


Though now the falling half of the year, it was still the time and weather for bug hunting, so I went Over There to look for these;


Small Red Damselfly


I located a couple of males, sneakily not quite where they're usually found, though in the rather fresher than I'd like breeze, they were rather bashful; only one sat down in view,

Hiding from the breeze


Also at least two - including one met out in the woods! - of these so hard to shoot it's silly wonders,

Downy Emerald!

Well, I hit it...

I was so close to getting one perched up in a tree, too.. Argh. Oh well, one day, eh?


Away from the woods, amongst the Heather, I - after a fair search - found another thing I'd been looking for;

Silver-studded Blue

"I think this is my good side"

And the upperside

All the same insect, as I only found the one...
:(


Far more than one of these, though;

Almost every clump had
its SilverY

And

Inevitable Demoiselle

It was warm out of the wind

[Male BD shown in obelisk position - with abdomen and wings held at/near vertical - which is done when they're a bit too warm]




Keeled Skimmer

Teneral

Out in very large numbers

Lots of Large Skipper, too


 Grasshopper sp.

Heath Grasshopper

Where's the
Green-eyed Flower Bee?


Only the one of these seen, but still, nice to see one ambulatory and three-dimensional,

Common Toad!
 
Likewise, single photo'd beetle;

Strawberry Seed Beetle




Another post long on pictures, short on words. This due not least to my spending much of my time sitting or standing about waiting for something to show up [which was quite effective, mostly]. A long lunch skywatching from under a handily-located Pine gave nowt more than a half dozen Buzzards, though [one day, stork, one day....].
My attempts on woodland species gave one very mobile Silver-washed Fritillary - which as you can guess, didn't stop long enough to shoot - and no White Admirals, despite all the Honeysuckle, but there's always another day.

And I didn't encounter a single Horsefly, much to my pleasure, I can tell you! [I think I've had my year's quota in that frantic burst at Aish, to be honest....]




Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment