27 July, 2023

You're Going To Love This. Pt.2, The Wetter Bit


Saturday [when I, ah, dragged myself up] saw me eventually getting to the Nose, to find not one but two birders at a rather soggy Glonk Corner..!!

The Teacher and half of The Murphys were hoping for Balearics, skuas, and so on.
 
They'd got Manxies.


I put up the Chair [yes, I even took the Proper Seawatching Chair* along.. get me] and finally even resorted to the Big Boss Brolly.

We got more Manxies.


I didn't get photos of them, relax.
[I'm on my fourth camera, so messing with rain for less than something Epic is unlikely]

That said, when it wasn't being quite so antisocial;


I tell a lie, there are Manxies
in this photo!

Bit closer to,

Subadult LBB,
with adult Herring for
colour comparison

I make no further comment.


One by one, we gave up, with the outlasters rewarded with... Well, not any Balearics.


Behold, my numbers.

In 2.25hrs,

Manx                            141
Gannet                          89
Kittiwake                     13
Fulmar                         13
Pom Skua                     2
[Both dark: first S at 1759, briefly harrying Herring Gulls S of Ore Stone; second S to Ore Stone, then back N at 1822 after harrying Herring Gulls. First bird a bulky one with very strong underwing flashes {looked almost Bonxie-like coming in}, second slimmer, {more of an Arctic confusion}, with less flash in wings, but size vs Herrings clear]
Guillemot                     11
Razorbill                       5
Curlew                          1
YLG                              3
LBB                              1


With the Ore Stone now free of auks, Guillemot passage can be accurately counted.




In better conditions,

One over, one on

ZZZZZZZZZZ

Wooooosh!


FYI, local Herring Gulls started fledging last week.

O;)





Coming Up in Pt.3;



Hmm, I wonder what...??




Be Seeing You...








[[* Normally only seen at the likes of 'Gwarra and Pendeen.       I did NOT have to fight the moths for it, thank you ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment