14 August, 2023

That Heap Again


Well, dear reader, I did not get out at first light on Saturday to try my luck with the Cory's Influx. I was awake, but my head just laughed.....




Sunday and I was again awake at a vaguely reasonable hour, feeling much better.

Right.




Did I mention the weather was a bit sunny?


Well, I could have tried Pendeen, but a) I wasn't up THAT early, and b) dry powder and so on.


I went up on t'Moor, picking route on hope of getting parked on a sunny Sunday in August..

I shouldn't have worried, it was - close proximity to reservoirs aside - very quiet up there.


Wonderful, right?
:D


Up from Holne to Ryder's again, this time doing the proper route back via [yes, you guesssed it] the Heap of Sinners.

Wow. Spectacular.


Itsa cairn. On a smallish hill. Bit of a view.


[Oh, yes, that is a shower passing by in the background. Got rained on a couple of times, but in such a desultory way I just grinned]


The usual set of pictures, assorted,

Holne Moor

Cairn on Holne Moor

You don't go up
Ryder's Hill to
look at it.

Sat at Puper's..

... One of the few places
you can see Hound Tor from

Forded the Mardle
[over the knee in places...!]

Chiffchaff

Yes, an actual bird!
Woo.

Keeled Skimmer

Being quite helpful

Grayling, less so

Twin-spot Carpet

An Agaricus,
possibly porphyrocephalus


No fancy birds, not a sniff of a Wheatear, but that didn't stop it being a lovely walk. Albeit a little interesting getting through [or more often around, they got to 5' and densely matted...] large areas of very frisky Bracken. And finding the Mardle Ford rather washed-through and well over the knee at the deepest point [the dark bit in that pic] was fun. Hey, I got across without soggy boots - it's technique and good gaiters - despite attracting a pesky persistent Horsefly while I was trying and failing to find an alternative.


Also, that day was the last Swifts were present, with at least 9 screaming about at sunset, but none seen or heard here since.


Ah well.



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment