11 December, 2023

Right Then. Pt.1, Exe Bashing


Stepping back in time a week [or so...], I had Business up Exeter way on two days, and it would have been wrong not to get some birding in after I'd done What Was Needed.
[Note that 'after', btw. I'm not that deranged         Yet]



Both days ended up at Exminster, though the first was very sunny and the second rather, er, not.


Lunch at a sunny but very cold Dart's Farm blind [you need four walls and a roof for a hide.] started with a Little Egret and a Kingfisher by the fishponds [not seen a LE there before], and goodly numbers of Brents at nice close range. I am a big Brent  fan, they're nice geese [unlike frickin' Canadas...]
 
Also, and birding-wise most interesting in view [after I'd been through the Wigeon and Teal];

Colour-ringed Curlew

This was wandering about, one of a handful, and was Metal left tibia, Dark Blue right tibia, Red right tarsus [slipped down to 'ankle', possibly originally tibia too?] . I cannot find any program with this on any of three sites I looked at...??

Much more fun was what a Crow flushed [by trying to land on it] from near left; Jack Snipe!! It zipped around into cover in that typical low ziggy flight and vanished. On the off chance, I gave all even slightly wet bits a very close grilling, and caught something in the near open,

"Bugger, I thought the fence
would save me from the autofocus..."

Regular flavour Snipe   :D

Heading to Exminster in hope of a nice Shorty, I defied the [ok now rather receded] flood waters.

The tide was not high..

I got no owls, despite staying to dark, but hey worth a try.


Second go started with lunch at Powderham Marsh. I was well-equipped with wellies and bumbleshoot, though only really needed the latter, as it was far less underwatery than I expected on past experience.!


Chief excitement

Can you see them?

Here's one a little closer,

Marsh Harrier!


Four at once. Four.


Now, up on the Levels that's not such a big deal, but in Devon...!!!!!!!

Mature adult female, younger adult female, 2cy male, and a juv.



Not much else on there, most exciting bird not a raptor was

Aaaargh.....

[Don't mention they breed in this country now, don't mention they breed in this country now...]

Oh dear.

Here's something else,

It's always a Buzzard
[taking the winter off from
being an Osprey.. ;) ]


Heading on to Exminster - in between some impressive downpours - I again found [though with less surprise] no owls. Lots of ducks and waders, though.

A selection on the Exe

Just a part of the 1000+ flock of Golden Plover there, which then took off

Count them I dare you

And flew off in a stream far too long to get in one shot. Here's a bit,




Closer to and very if briefly obliging,

Kingfisher on Turf Lock




Sunset



Ok, so no owls of any form, but a couple of nice encounters. Ok, a couple of brilliant encounters :D




Be Seeing You...


No comments:

Post a Comment