27 January, 2020

Rolling The Dice


I like to think I am a fairly risk-averse person. I try to calculate and consider, rather than just blindly jumping in.

That said, sometimes you just have to take a risk.


Sometimes this results in success, sometimes that horrible feeling of icy 'water' filling your footwear.....


As shall be seen, there was a bit of both [as you'd expect when rolling dice; you'll get 1's and 6's] over two days of chasing yearticks, both new and old, near and very very far indeed...

Let us begin, as you may be shocked to expect, at the beginning.



Haldon on Saturday morning was sunny and not as cold, let alone icy, as I had feared, looking at the forecast. Though it was colder outside my own little Happy Valley [which was a good 3° warmer than nearby locales]

Bullfinch!

When you sit tight and stay quiet, birds come to you. Of course, often from up Sun, but you can't have everything. :)

Scenery



I was after Hawfinch and ready to put time in if needed, which was good as I ended up staying there until the early afternoon.

One probably [I was feeling careful] flew away from me as I approached, and at 1146 I heard some 'sic!'s; probably only from one bird... And that was it. Yeartick yes, satisfying, no. What can you do?


Zumerzet?
Nope, Exminster

Keep at it. That's what.

Exminster was slightly flooded, but that's why I keep wellies in my li'l car.

After I went back to get them..


With a lack of people away from the canal, the birds were showy;

Grey Wag
[YT]

A very buffy warbler flycatching from a hedge
and not calling was of course a Chiffchaff

Snow Goose surprised at 'close' range
[no rings, no hybrid features but nm, eh]

Wigeon

Better Barnacles view, too

Even the Redwing were close

Glorious, isn't it?

Mirror calm

Ah, yes, that 'flooding' thing...


Quite a current running, there.

I was looking back in that one, having come through the deepest section - after I'd met a couple who'd got through the other way. Wading through flood waters is not usually advisable, and worth a long detour, but when you've seen it's ok..? Hmm. So, yes, that risk.
Alas, either the water levels were rising [as the tide fell] or they'd just been very lucky with stepping on tussocks, as while I carefully took the route they'd taken [which they'd been kind enough to spell out for me], I got double-topped. Twice.

Hmm.

Still, I got to see the Canadas hiding where you can't see them from the canal, so..

Yup, itsa Canada Goose

I saw more Canada Geese.


Bugger.


Being now rather more than a little soggy, that was that. Ok, I did squelch up the bridge to look over Powderham, but nothing in sight.

I'm starting to feel like Charlie Brown.



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment