11 January, 2020

Shameless Yearticking 2; I Love It When A Plan Comes Together


Got a Saturday, better weather than forecast, a list of screwy ducks, helpful fellow birders, less than helpful mundanes, half a tank of petrol, and a full flask of coffee.


Hit it.
😎


Inevitable first up was a little cardio courtesy of that screwiest of ducks at Mansands.

In an amazing twist of fate, he behaved and showed not only for me [that's one], but also for the assorted twitchers - many down from upcountry and presumably BritListing - in something  like sunshine!

2cy male Blue-winged Teal
plus female Eurasian Teal

..and with a male


In a shock twist, I ambled up another 'friendly' little slope to find Murphys admiring a posing Blackstart. [That's two] We wandered back together - comparing notes from the first - to find the BWT was showing even better...!! [I wonder if he's feeling alright?]

Black Redstart


I skedaddled post haste, and even went so far as to take the ferry over to Dartmouth to cut the corner [and probably save an hour's transit, knowing Totnes....]. ::Gasp!::

Ooh, over the Dart!


Anyways, after an encounter with the dustmen in a very narrow muddy lane above Beesands [yikes], I found the RND on the  Ley [that's three], cunningly hiding  behind just enough reeds to foil my camera... I must admit I got a little annoyed. It got beyond silly, to be honest, but eventually I got evidence;

Spot the Ring-necked Duck



I also ran into more birders in the form of Thurlestoners and a catch up ensued, which was great, though they told me they'd come from Slapton and had seen no Scaup, which wasn't. I also finally got to talk to a Patch-sharer and Firecrest-seer [yup, PD] who I've previously narrowly missed at the Nose about a dozen times..!


I moved on, and at Stokeley bumped into, yes you guessed it, some Murphys again! Also PD arrived [though I was expecting him to catch up], as did another couple of birders I'd met at Beesands.

I spent some time there, in vain hope of Scaup off Scaup Pont, but no dice.

There were some birds to see, though

Black-necked Grebe

Goldeneye
female and male

Eventually, 5 of each were in view at once. Never closer than that, though.

Pochard and Tuftie

BHG

One with bling [couldn't read it]
one with s/pl!?!

Those feets


Over to look at the sea... I eventually found 2 GC Grebes, but not a single diver or seaduck?!? This is getting a little silly, now. Where are the RTDs hiding?

At least it's a pretty view


Finally up to Ireland Bay and meeting PD again, plus Perry, whom I've not seen for I think actual years! Things then got very frustrating as what looked really good for an adult YLG appeared in the bathing gull mob, but flew right as I tried to get Perry on it..! Arrrgh.. I didn't even get a shot at it sat on the water, let alone the primaries you'd need to rule out one of those nasty HerringxLBB things, so it's only a probable and not even a yeartick...  ::woe::


Spot the Med Gull

At least one interesting gull stayed put for a moment.

Of interest;

I don't know, all the bloomin' violence around these days....

Ahem.


No Bitterns, either, or Marsh Harrier [in my sight, anyway]. Ho hum.


Onward.


There was a lot of very good bird watching going on in all that, and lots of welcome catch ups and chat - if a little curtailed now and again as time did keep going - in better weather than expected. So not bad at all.




Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment