12 January, 2020

Shameless Yearticking 3; A Day Late And A Scaup Short. Again.


I had an important mission to carry out last Sunday, but that didn't preclude me heading back to Bowling Green; the Scaup had re-appeared there. Also showy Beardies in the Exe reeds were not to be missed. And who knows what else. Lots of yearticks to be had. [[Once again following a day behind MB.. I'm not stalking him. Honest!]]



What happened? Well, as you may have guessed,  absolutely no sign of any Scaup, though 4 Pochard and 1 Tufty were present. [Maybe it was hiding behind them? Dear oh dear, I even went back twice to the hide on the off chance it was asleep behind the Mound...]
Also the Ruff showed a bit better, and lots of the usuals. I even saw the Dowitcher out on the Clyst for the first time.
What else?
Well....

Black Swans.
Striking poses.

I really like Black Swans. I know they get a lot of stick, but to me they're no worse - in fact markedly better - than Canadas or any other feral wildfowl. A lot nicer to look at and listen to than Canadas as well [or Mutes, for that matter!]. Perhaps Mandarins are a better comparison? Highly decorative and from the other side of the world, after all. Nobody's got beef with them - that I know of - so maybe give the Blacks a break?


Look at that feathering.
[Don't look at that pollution.. Tut]

Ok, those two aside, a few pictures from all about the Topsham area;

Teal

Wigeon

Love that vermiculation.

Long-billed Dowitcher,
plus Blackwits

See? Really obvious even at range. :)

Greenshank Redshank comparison

Avocets

Ok, to the other main attractions. Needless to say, with the rain - albeit in drizzle form - a threat, Beardies were not feeling helpful. Bu I was persistent and spread my search wider than 'ferry slipway to opposite The Lighter'.

This proved a good idea as they were further upstream; beyond the wrecked boats, in fact.

See up there on the right? Yup, past that.

Brilliant record shot!

On the right, you can see a tawny bird with a long tail - which is pointed to about 10 o'clock - and on the left a bird with striking black and white folded wing visible through the reeds.

I know, I know, I've outdone myself. This is practically OspreyInTree levels, here. :)

Dizzle's onset saw them vanish [which is what they were doing up there - they had been out on the edge] not to reappear in my sight. :(  But after the air dried a little, I saw a nice large party of Reed Bunts - at least 9 - messing about, which was lovely.


Vocal Lapwing

Showy Greenshank

Little Egret


Keeping at it.
[115]


Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment