21 January, 2020

Quick News Update


I was very naughty over the weekend, out both days chasing poor innocent little birdies all over the place.

This is just a quick post - albeit two days later than it should have been as it took this long to go through the pics - to put a little news out there in case anyone doesn't know / does care;

So the sharp-eyed among you may have noticed a crew did the North / West Devon bit on Saturday. They reported some good birds, and amongst them was a Pinkie at Roadford Res.

Ho hum, went I, remembering last March.


So on Sunday I defied the icy roads and went over. After scoping through 133 Canada Geese [including a Canada x White Farm Goose hybrid!] I found it. No, wait... Them!

Family party of four: 2 and 2.

Looks like last winter's bird came back and brought the fam along, too!
 :D

They were right over the other side, of course, and even after getting as close as I could, they were still distant.

Pink-footed Goose
[adult, with touch of white about the bill base]


More to follow in proper posts [yes, including four in one picture, you doubters], but maybe not until Thurs or Friday...

I also went further north, and while the Isbis* pulled the same trick on me I'd seen it do to an unlucky couple the last time I was up that way [pose as you drive in, but fly off before you get back on foot with the  camera etc.!], I decided to roll the dice and lugged the Big Scope over to Mr Taylor's Bench, where, as the Sun set and in defiance of all probabilities, my reckoning that Spoonbills might appear at the mouth of the distant but visible Caen proved...

Spoooonbills!

Correct! ::faints::

A shocking and rare sight indeed; two Spoonbills moving at the same time.......



More also to come, including far too many shots of the scenery.

[I also got out on Saturday, as alluded to earlier, where while at least one Hawfinch sic'd at Haldon in the morning, the afternoon's wade about Exminster failed yet again to find Gyppos... But did find a few other things]



I suppose that should be it, 'tis supposed to be quick after all.

Yachts at Turf



Be Seeing You...


[[*For reasons I cannot explain, I think of Ibises as Isbises...]]

No comments:

Post a Comment