10 September, 2018

About That Fun


Right then, after another one of those not so little delays, Backward Birding is back, with worse 'record' shots than ever. Also a special blog you won't believe until you see it.

But that won't be for a while yet.



It's not gulls. Like I said, you won't believe it.


Anyways, my annual week off to celebrate the kids going back to torture school and getting out of the way educated was somewhat curtailed by my breaking myself a bit. More a mobility hindrance than anything - just tried to do too much too soon after too long not.

Enough of that, you don't have any desire to see anything other than allegedly interesting writing and awful pictures, so I shall oblige;

Firstly, we have a little day's birding about the Exe. I think I have a worthy rival to the Legendary Contrail Osprey In Tree shot, we'll see what you think.

The fun started at Goosemoor, where a Spotted Redshank was middling obliging; it was there in the open, but asleep. It even managed to fly about twice but still be sleep when I looked at it! Clearly this bird has been paying too much attention to Spoonbills...

"In retrospect, hiding with Greenshanks might
not have been the best move"

Spot the Common Gull

Moving over to Bowling Green, it was clear the rain had forgotten this part of Devon.

Be able to bowl here soon

It's another Glossy Ibis!

Yes, the other one [there are two knocking about, you see]

Mobile and elusive...

Spot the Ruff

It was a bit toasty

A moment of excitement ensued when a familiar engine noise filled the hide;

Spitfire!!

:D

I headed over to Exminster, where it was also quite warm, to see what I could see there,

Exminster 'viewing' platform

The powers that be have helpfully hacked down the big tree that gave shelter from the biting north wind in winter, but seem to have forgotten what a viewing platform is supposed to do. Oops.
Fighting through the gaps, I saw that Exminster Marsh needs a new name;

Welcome to RSPB Exminster Heath

Finally, I braved the hordes of ice cream-frenzied grockles to have a look at the sea off Dawlish Warren. A few terns were off the estuary mouth - Sarnies and something small and dark, that was too far off in the haze to ID - and also a couple of shady-looking ducks, loafing about near Langstone Rock. Cue my re-taking of the 'Worst Crime Against Record Shots' title!

Two Eider!!
[Plus a Shag and some gulls]

You see? Osprey shmosprey. ;)

Here they are having a swim;

C'mon, you can age and sex them from that.


I would apologise, but you knew what you were getting into.. ;)


Coming up on Backward Birding, we have more travels, more birds, some awful pictures, and some like this;

"I'm only in the trailer?!? 
Call my agent, I'm going to sue!"

Heh heh heh


Be Seeing You...


No comments:

Post a Comment