30 June, 2019

Boats And Blobs.


A ketchup from my week off.



It's been a long time since I've off to go staring at the sea at Prawle.

A rather iffy forecast gave me cause - it's still default setting, after all - and well, some beats none.

Worth going? Yes, though it had its moments.


Taking the scenic route home was a very good call, as you shall see.


Right then;

That view again

Passage wasn't insane - shock - with an Arctic Skua and two Puffins the best of it. Manxies were 27W/67E, with a few inside 'blob' range..

[uh oh]

Itsa Gannet

40/9 of them, so outnumbered by Manxies [usually this is a good sign].

The balance difference - more Gannets west than east, opposite of the Manx numbers - makes you wonder. Weather unlikely to be a major factor, so perhaps an indicator of differing origins? I [reasonably] assume these are all provisioning adults.

Yeah, I did mention Manx blobs...

Two Manxies

Slightly closer

You get the idea.. The lone group of 7 Common Scoter, are even worse.. No, you'll not be afflicted.

A scattering of auks and gulls were to be expected and that's pretty much it.

Of course, Prawle isn't just about what's out to sea. There are some nice plants;

Sea Campion

Thrift

Birdsfoot Trefoil

English Stonecrop

Sheep's-bit

Slender Thistle



Far more activity from local breeders, with one sp. in particular vocal and demanding of being photo'd;

Rock Pipit
Giving it large!



With not a huge quantity of avian passage, attention was inevitably drawn to other, bigger passers-by. Yeah, yachts again...

Can't think why this caught the eye


Racer
[Only technically a monohull - look at that hydrofoil!]

A little older

Proper sailing

Oh yeah..

Lovely..

There were noisier travellers;

Wonder where they're off to..?


I took the scenic route home, hoping for something flying over Slapton Ley [it's happened before]. In the event, the interest was the other way, and quite bigger than even a GWE..

Dat ass
[ahem]
The above showing why, to my eye at least, why there's no such thing as a good-looking carrier. I know they are the ultimate in function over form [even for a warship], but come on..


However, she is in her own terms, a magnificent beast;

H.M.S. Queen Elizabeth


I get very mixed feelings looking at her. I won't put in the rants that come to mind - look up serious sources if you want to get an idea of where I'm coming from.


But hey, I went to Prawle, I did some seawatching, and I have lots of photos of blobs and yachts [and ships] that I haven't unleashed upon you. See, getting better. :) 



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment