29 June, 2019

I've Taken A Funny Tern


Yes, that was awful.

No, I don't care.


:P

I don't know what it is about me and delivering baked goods to loved ones, but that's twice inside a week now.

In fact I type this part way through baking more - cupcakes this time - because it seems like it's worth a try [And I owe them as an apology.. :( ]

So, it was a flying cake before I toddled up to the Exe to have a look for the Caspian Sea Monster that had not only shown up - the day before, when work said "Ha ha!" - but hung around. Eventually, anyway.

An early 'no sign of' had me off on another Bug Hunt - more of this in a future post - then intending to drop supplies off and have a nice chat but.. Well, maybe I shouldn't check the news? lololol

Anyway, I headed over and arrived at the Clyst Platform to be told 'it's just flown up river'.. Oh ffs...

Then it came back and plonked down on the mud. Yes, inevitable burned out photos;

Caspian Tern

With a red ring on the left and metal on the right, too. Now read from some wonderful photos taken right before I got there, showing this is a 3 year old from Sweden. :)  Tern darvic rings, eh? Well, this was an unusually obliging bird. Sometimes.

ID Challenge
;)


Anyway, it sat, it flew, it preened, and then it vanished.

45 worried minutes later it reappeared, fishing wellllll downriver, and those still present were treated to the classic CT diving style;  'like a brick' !!  ;)

Coming in to land


At least two Little Tern also present - entertaining with their far more stylish fishing while searching for the Caspo off the Goatwalk - and a variety of other waders [also stylish being spl 'shanks]

Snazzy Greenshank


Spot the Water Rail


It was lovely getting to see really good views [don't go by my photos] of that monstrous beast [you should have seen its gaping threat posture with that bill when BHGs got too close!], the one up on the Taw-Torridge was always a bit... distant.

And the howling gale meant it wasn't too horrifically hot, either. So at least that was good for something. [This will make more sense when you read the other post to do with this day, something like Another Bug Hunt]


I shall

Be Seeing You...


No comments:

Post a Comment