22 November, 2019

A Hunting We Will Go


In which I get to that oft-delayed Hawfinch Hunt.

Also I then try for a long-gone Glossy Ibis, on the principle that absence of news isn't news of absence.

[Spoiler Alert; It's absent]]

Hmm, sounds like a lot of waffle, even more fungi, and sod all birds [at least photos of them...]

Well, oh cynic, read on and learn...






That bit on Haldon where sometimes Hawfinches, those flying nutcrackers, may be seen. I went there, and what did I see? Well, firstly Crossbills and Bullfinches. [No Greenfinches, which was a little disappointing] Then, after a brief encounter nearby, getting flown over by a whole frickin' flock, even, and being treated to the pics of the chap who was there '5 minutes before you arrived', indeed after almost two hours being very patient [I did take a foldy stool; I'm not entirely daft]...

Finallllllly;

That's no moon Greenfinch!

Awful light, long range, subject swaying in the howling gale wind... But still. Not bad for me.

I got closer! The light got worse...

Crossbill!

Bullfinch!

I got a bit closer to the Hawfinch, but still note comparative size and structures, there.

Better pictures of easier subjects;

Sulphur Tuft

I messed with the colours a bit as for some reason the camera washed them right out. These things were bright!

Common Funnel, I think


C. rivulosa?
[don't think that's actually a ring on the stem]

Aromatic Knight

Fragrant Funnel

Stowaway!

Found this chancer hanging on to my little car when I left. It got a free ride to Exminster, and baled out while I was there.  :)

Speaking of;

Water and birds. Lots of birds.

Some very confiding [with a little care]

A very nice Ruff!

Right by the causeway. :)
This despite some rather over-enthusiastic use of the flail...

Ouch

I yomped up to the M5 and indeed past it, but no sign of any ibises; glossy, soggy, or any other flavour.. Oh well, worth a try. The female Marsh Harrier put in an appearance, but went the wrong way for a photo attempt, the minx. A Kingfisher zipped over the canal, and a Cetti's did the same with the towpath.


Less confiding.

This Cormorant on the canal just would not let me get close, even when I stayed put and waited; when it popped up nearby and in sight of me, off away it flew.

The views were far better with bins - the light never helpful, being either bright behind or just dull and horrid - even more so set up on the Hawfinch spot with the Big Scope I'd lugged along :D, but what's new?


Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment