15 November, 2019

Fungusworthy 3; Choose Your Own ID's


Not long after my soggy trip up the Avon, the Folks and I braved Fernworthy. We saw - shock - lots of fungi and heard lots of Crossbills. So pretty much as expected.

They were very tolerant of my [many, prolonged] detours to shoot fruiting bodies [though Sniff would definitely have preferred more action, especially along the many deer scent trails she found!]

We ambled about, had some lunch, ambled some more, had some coffee and fudge ;), then went our ways. Simples.


I'm just going to hit pictures.

Species differed from both my before and last years, so feast the eyes;

Deathcap

What a way to start, eh? A species that does what it says on the tin, even with modern medicine. Also surprisingly variable in appearance, so be very sure you know what you're foraging, folks....

I remember the first time I saw one of these [well several of these]; it was many many years ago when I was a wee nipper, and they were right beside the path leading from the car park to a reasonably famous Moor's edge tourist attraction. I was quite surprised that they were there. [Even though this was well before the H&S thing went viral]
I'm still very fond of them [in a very definite look-but-don't-touch kinda way].

Right, onward, with less yapping;

Charcoal Burner

Powdery Brittlegill
 
Er...

Meadow Waxcap

Love this!

It is of course;

Fly Agarics!

So cute

Hmm, just going back through these - I type post photo-drought - I realise just how many spp. I have here.. I think, rather than my usual process of ID if at all possible [which takes a long while, my White Book is very good, but only if you know pretty much what you're looking at; I can ID a few easier genera on sight, but many are lbj's, so to speak]. So, I'm going to just blat them at you.

IDs when / if possible added later.

Brace thy selves.

This

That

Russula aquosa?
[by res.]

Cedarwood Waxcap

Mosaic Puffball

Thing

Stump Puffball

Shaggy Scalycap

Variant of the same, or possibly
P. adiposa [on Beech]

Taken with flash, in Beech leaf litter

Bonnet

Beefsteak Fungus

Russula

Funnel

Funeral Bell

Coral Fungus

This

Grey-spotted Amanita

?

These

Common Puffball
[doing what it says on the tin!]

Orange!

Dyeball

Er..

Add name

Club Fungus?

Cortinarius sp.

Russula

Bonnets

This one

Conocybe rickenii [?]

The other one

Stagshorn

Common Earthball

Old Meadow Puffball

This

Inocybe sp.

H. reidii

Heath Waxcap

H. vitellina


Phew!

There ought to be some birds in this, so here you go;

The only Crossbill to sit in view...

Lots about but mobile and annoying. Otherwise the usual suspects, except for this lot;

Jackdaws!
[Lots of them!]

On the res.;

GC Grebe

Also a 1w GCG, a few Tufties, and a gathering gull roost of the usual spp. for Fernworthy.

And as a special treat;

A Little Black Dog
looks over Assycombe medieval village 
Another thing the plantations do is keep Bracken off the archaeology [assuming they don't dump conifers all over it, of course...].

The LBD was keeping a keen look out in case anything like the maker of this print showed up;

That's a big deer.


The wind was a bit nippy, but out of it twas was quite lovely.



Be Seeing You...


No comments:

Post a Comment