17 November, 2019

More Filthy Twitching


News of a long-desired Devon Tick had me kiboshing a planned attempt at Hawfinches for a long yomp down to Mansands, where a Blue-winged Teal was a' lurking. It apparently showed now and again, so I was ready to wait.

Which is what I did.

For three and a half hours. Until it got dark.


In that time the bird stretched up and scratched itself once.


All the remaining time it sank gradually lower and lower into rushes on the far side of the far pond, while every single other bird there paraded in full view at least once. Even a frackin' Water Rail.

Grr.

Well, said scratch gave a full view of head and bill, flank and leg, so I got the ID. But the very best picture I got was this;

Yes, right in the middle.

There's a female Common Teal on the waterline to the right, and at least two well-hidden to the BWT's left. The Blue-wing is sat down with body near side-on to the left and head - turned back over the body - on the right. It appears darker and colder than the CTs.

Yes, this is a great one even for me.

Let's zooom out a bit;

Very pretty

It's over there...

Fortunately, I wasn't alone in my vigil, as a few of the Usual Suspects were down

Not actually looking at the bird

And the odd bird did show a bit

Chiffchaff

Snipe


I have considered going back and trying for a proper dodgy record shot, but work, weather, and general Life have got in the way. As the BWT had been on site for about 3 weeks before news got out [and considering how evil it is*, that's not quite so shocking] it might still let me try. If I can summon the energy...

Oh dear, what can you do?


Be Seeing You...

[[*Not to mention the slide down and yomp up that horrid track...]]

No comments:

Post a Comment