27 May, 2021

Getting Rained On For Fun. Pt. 2, And The Rest


After getting things done and suffering the consequences of all the fun on Friday [seawatching after a night shift...] on Saturday [Only birding of note being a quick detour around Powderham/Cockwood on my way back from a task, but failed to find anything fancy], I got myself down the Nose on Sunday morning [eventually...]


The weather turned downhill, and as I'd decided to Be Good and not spend the afternoon into evening seawatching again [I'm on days now...], I bailed before 1300. MB started up then and had ~2000 Manxies in 2ish hours, plus showy Stormies, and an actual skua [I still haven't had Arctic, let alone Bonxie...], so yar boo to him. :p


Before that, I found some birds in bushes when it was actually sunny - nothing unreported before though - and a few waders down on the Sole's wave-cut platform.

S/pl Turnstone threat displaying at a w/pl Turnstone
[out of sight behind rock]

Same time, but further left. 
How many Turnstones can you see?

 
Spoiler: There are 3 w/pl [all facing R at the 'front'] and 4 s/pl [one threatening the w/pl on the left]
[ One s/pl is back to us and shows no white, all other birds show at least a bit. Right-most w/pl is quite black and white on the head, but back lacks the bright chestnut of true s/pl]

So that's 9 in all! And only able to be counted from photos, as I thought I might have 8 looking at them with bins. Just goes to show. Also a Whimbrel, which I didn't get a good shot of.

Here's a nice bird which pitched up in a shower;

3cy LBB

Hunting cowering migrants in the North Side, I found these;

Solitary Wasp

Robber Fly!

You know the weather's nasty when one of these things takes cover...


I had a couple of looks at the sea [but of course];
From Glonk Corner I had 2 Gannets in 15 minutes
From Wryneck Bench I had 9 Manx and a Kittiwake in 15 minutes

Not bad with bins and definitely getting better as time went on. Oh well.
 
I got a text headsup from PD about an Osprey reported passing Berry Head [cheers!], but it didn't make it to the Nose.  [Probably either went through the Meadfoot-Anstey's cut or - if it was smart - plonked down in a tree by Lincombe Drive to wait out the rain!]


As I post this, the weather has finally remembered what time of year it is and it's become far hotter and even [gasp] sunnier. And there's a bank holiday weekend coming up.... So not actually 'getting back to normal' at all, then.!



Ho hum.



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment