05 May, 2021

So I Went Back To Exminster...


After getting back from the Nose on Sunday and umming and ahhing for too long, I eventually just did it.


Late afternoon to evening at Exminster was busier than you'd expect. I took a flask and some minor rations, intending to sit my behind down on the Powderham Marsh platform and see what was in view of the Big Scope.

Turns out, not that much. I had been hoping a certain Shelduck of a Ruddy nature might be hiding there, but no joy. Likewise wandering waders of Wood and Little natures were conspicuously absent. But worth a try, and the exercise always does you good. [Also very nice to get out tthere without needing waders...]


Yomping back, Exminster main was - from the only elevated viewpoint [towpath*] - backlit by blazing sun. Yeah, this is why I go there in the morning...  IDing ducks by silhouette is good practice, and finding a couple of Gadwall out there was nice. No sign of my previous visit's Pintail.
Then the sun was hidden by cloud. Woo? Said cloud disgorged rain, more rain, and then even more rain.   Not woo.

Fortunately, Being Prepared, I had cunningly tucked a bumbleshoot in my bag, and so was not soggified  :)


I kept it up with the scope and eventually found the most sneaky and elusive Greenland White-fronted Goose, at very long range. See?

White-fronted Goose
[on the right]

Right at the back yet out of sight of the railway foortpath [told you it was sneaky]. This shot taken after the rain had finally given up and gone to soak somebody else, so slightly less awful than it could be: You can even see a pixel of white at the bill base!   lol  
Also at long range was a Ruff, but it moved out of view before I could get a shot and stayed bashful, the rascal. 
 
Various other new for the years were more helpful than my last visit, though not to the point of posing [though I nearly got a wonderful Sedge Warbler shot, being vexed by a cyclist with awful timing...], but it was by no means a clean sweep. Still, despite getting rained on a lot, and experiencing some truly outrageous driving [even for a Sunday], it wasn't half bad.
:)



Be Seeing You...



[[* Dear RSPB, GIVE US A TOWER HIDE! Thank you. ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment