13 August, 2021

Getting Less Soggy For Birds


Next day. [That would be last Sunday, then].

Less rain, more wind. Threat of sunshine, even.


Shocking.



The Nose duly had far less sexy birds, but I managed to find some migrant warblers. One even posed for me, see?

Phyllosc-y goodness!


A couple of nice Willow Warblers were to be found, one in the Top Dell, one at the bottom of the Rocky Path - which was even singing a bit! :) - and a Turnstone or maybe two were out on the Lead Stone, but otherwise it was rather dire.

Ho and indeed hum.

The Chiff that just kept giving

[Grooooan...]

At least I had this little Chiffie, which was brilliant, wonderful.. :D 
One of at least 9 present, a juvie showing no fear of the gaping mammal. It had other business; feeding its face! It even nailed a hoverfly in mid air with an audible snap! of the bill. :D


Mother of Pearl

Lurking in the Top Dell entranceway [along with many a Stingy Nettle - its foodplant]


Oh yes, I have news which I have forgotten to add in earlier posts...

The Swifts went last week. Last screaming on Wednesday, last sighting on Thursday [both evening, so local birds as per my stated assumptions].

It is thus Autumn.


EDIT: Or is it?? Many being reported in the area recently, and at least one heard screaming on the evening of the 10th... Not seen any, though, so I think screamer might have been from elsewhere. No post-breeding groups seen this year, which is a big disappointment, as I was pretty sure we had 4 pairs here [up from 3 in last couple of years, that down from 5+ when I moved in {bloody 'renovations'...} ]. In that case there would be LOTS zooming around.. I suspect bad timing in regards to weather made them move right after fledging, and I just didn't get the chance to see them. [[I really hope it's that, anyway]]


Hmm...



Now if only my BLEEEEEPing shoulder, back, and legs would clear up so I can lug my scope down the Nose and do some seawatching....

Mutter mutter



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment