23 August, 2021

The Three Amigos Stand Again!


After failing to get out birding on Friday, Saturday saw me eventually drag myself out to the Nose, where I was delighted to come across not only the Teacher, but the Veteran, too!

The three of us spent a merry while down on the end of the Mounds, catching up and seeing what if anything might fly past.

As it would happen, a lovely light morph Arctic Skua noticed and gave us a flypast at about 500m. [This might sound a lot, but for a seabird that's close!] Unfortunately, my camera stuck its tongue out at me and despite seemingly good conditions for a picture, I didn't even get a blur...  >:(
Also past were groups of 9 Common Scoter and 11 Manx Shearwater - both on the Manx line [ie. 1km] - as well as a very moulty adult BHG.

 
Wandering back up, the trees by the High Meadow gave a party of 3-5 phylloscs, which included what looked to me like a good Willow Warbler, but there wasn't much else on offer apart from resident raptors.


Common Blue Damselfly

This in the Entrance Bushes. Common Blues are damsels of large freshwater bodies, so this one definitely wandering!
At least 2 Migrant Hawkers were patrolling the Patch - one the First Slope, one earlier in Wellswood - and another hawker sp. along IMD frustratingly evaded the camera.
 
Lots of these were new out;

I don't need to name this, do I?

And finally...
On my way back, as I'd got up to IMD, a dark falcon came zooming along the clifftop, and I must admit to the excited thought that I'd actually got a Hobby, but then the local Kestrels noticed, combat ensued [much more serious on their part] and getting a better look, I realised what it was;

Bit big and chunky for a Hobby...

Look how rangy Kestrels are

"Who's next..? Ooh, a Geeb!"

Juvie Peregrine! A very dark one, and having a whale of a time dodging irate Kestrels and bouncing off surprised GBBs..!!!

Certainly gave things an entertaining finish.



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment