08 February, 2022

Back To Reality. Pt.1 Here


With all the fun and nonsense of recent times, it was inevitable that reality would reassert at some point. I don't normally see all the sexy birds - you'd want the Artist or the Backwater collective for that sort of stuff [Serin.. Serin..!!!!!*] - I just grind away at not very much until maybe one or two scarcities a year might pause in front of the camera.
So all this HH and so on will inevitably give way to Buzzards sooner or later.
 
 
Sooner it is, then.

I have been seeing the odd yeartick, and indeed at the Nose on Sunday, a sunshine and showers seawatch got me my first skua of the year! The [perhaps inevitable] Pom. I say 'the', but it was waaaaay offshore - ships were closer! - and while I tracked it in the Big Scope for 3 or 4 minutes, I got no hint of morph. Balance of probabilities says it's the adult light morph ['The Teacher's Pom'] which has been wintering in Lyme Bay, but of course there could be others doing the same.
Otherwise, said watch was lot of auks close to and a few Gannets, Kittiwakes, and the odd Fulmar further out. Nothing sexy in said auks, I was checking [Feb is the month for insane seabirds, after all.]
Despite a fair chunk of rain overnight, no slick from the SWBCM, so only four light gulls passing [3 CG, 1 BHG], and naturally not a hint of a nice winter shear. But worth a try and always fun to see the sea. [Oh dear]


When it wasn't raining,
it was like this.

BlackRed still lurking
around the place

Who needs Hen Harriers?
[Don't answer that]


The other end of the weekend was less productive, though the long-lurking Eider was visible about the oyster beds [I didn't see her on Sunday, but with the weather it wasn't exactly easy viewing].

How many seals can you sea[l]?

[Groan...]

Goddess of Birding shows me
where the YBW are hiding

Still got the view,
I suppose...




Be Seeing You...




[[* At least it's not November, I suppose...]]

No comments:

Post a Comment