05 February, 2022

Weekend Patchwork Post. Pt.2 Twitching, Searching, Scoring!


Friday [That's last Friday not this Friday. Ahem.]  saw me swanning off up onto the fringe of t'Moor, in search of Bobbing Things.


Nothing Like A Dart Dipper

And there is nothing like a Dart Dipper in that picture, before you get too excited...

I heard two, and one flew past me, but all afternoon I got nothing even close to a pic. Typical of the site, alas. I go there because it's where I saw my first Dipper; it's a site that's been close to my heart since I was yeah high to a doodleybug. There are places where you have a much better chance at much better views, but, well, nostalgia, you know?

I was treated to a nice performance by a water-ish bird, though, and here you go;

Grey Wagtail,
working past stone to stone

Just a garden bird, I know... :)


Sunday saw a much more active day of zipping around after birds, with first thing revenge at last on Blackstarts [see below] just the beginning.


News of a pair of Slavonian Grebes hanging around off Sprey Point [between Teignmouth and Dawlish, fyi] led to the thought 'Well, it is a Thing of Woe that they're so scarce, but I need to grab what's in reach'. [Having failed to get the Bay bird in January, despite resorting to slightly Drastic Measures {see further below..}] 
So, up I went, and yomped along - but not on! - Brunel's Line to the Point, which has a nice big buttress thing sticking out from the railway seawall as a viewpoint. This gives you 180° of sea to look at, if a little low down.
I'd picked a good day, though.
 
Looking back Patch-wards
 
 Now, those grebes... Were about 1km out, maybe 1.5....

Slavonian Grebes.
Honest.

Not exactly close views, but with the Big Scope they were good views. At least when I wasn't fielding queries from the Great Unwashed. I don't mind being helpfully friendly with mundanes, but doing so when you're trying to get a photo because they're a bit closer, the light's a touch better, and that one's wingflapping! can be a teensy bit trying. [Patience is a very useful thing to practice, of course(!)]
At least 4 RTDs and 2 GNDs, with a couple of score of auks [assorted razormots] and the odd Gannet and Kittiwake further out were on show, with 2 Med Gulls flying past south a pleasing [if a little overdue] first for year. :)


I wasn't going to stay all day, or even half of one, so I tried a rather circuitous route up onto t'Moor, hoping for a partridge or two. I got none, but you have to try.


Afternoon. Somewhere On Dartmoor* I rendezvous'd with the Teacher. We set up on different pieces of scenery [partly due to a desire to get eyes on more ground but mostly due to my need to walk some heat into my legs!]. The rest was.. 

Spot the Harrier

Get a better pic

...He's landed!!

The Power of the Artefact ::Ominous Chanting:: gave the Teacher more views while I was returning from my perch, but none as close as the first one was to me.

Woo.
:D


I know I've said I'm not going to go waving numbers around, and I won't [mostly] but for those interested parties, that glorious HH let me end January on 146 for Devon.



Be Seeing You...





[[* It is with familiar regret that even this far from grouse shoots, no details of location beyond the obvious** may be shared. ]]
[[ ** Yes, I was in Devon.       What?!? ]]

No comments:

Post a Comment