02 November, 2017

Patchy Post


Being a post involving the Patch and also being a bit patchy in content..


On the news front, I spent the weekend bits where I wasn't working [yikes] or baking [::grins::], ambling about the Patch - oh, shock - while not seeing any wonderful late October vagrants. Ok, I did find an interesting-looking large sylvia at the Nose, but I couldn't tick enough boxes, despite it being definitively cap-free.. [Much cursing was involved when I realised it'd beaten me, I can tell you]

So the best thing I can show you [I got a couple of buff-grey blurs of that warbler that don't even look like a bird] is probably this;

Rations


Bake 'em early, freeze 'em for a couple of months, and you get proper-job japflacks.  :)

Right, outdoors;

Every winter I dream of Wallcreepers...

Looking the other way
Black Head, Hope's Nose, Ore Stone


Not just Yarner

Speaking of leaves;

"Aargh.. Non-native!"

"Aaargh.. A Herring Gull!"

Slightly interesting one; looked at a glance like an advanced [or well-worn] 1w, but closer inspection shows for example that very adult feather sticking out there. The bill appears mostly dark, but mottling in fact extends more than halfway along, and yes, that is a very plain grey mantle there. Also look at the grey feathers [marked, but still definitely not juv!] in the  coverts and scaps, and note the state of the primary tips.
Yes, it's a retarded 2w. [A much shorter way of putting it..]

"Aaargh... A distant Herri- wait, four colours?"

Much more interesting, but also much much further away. [[Unsurprisingly...]]

Another Buzzard picture

Isn't that better?

Things to come

Patch fungus, there. Plus a flower sp. of some sort - I have no idea [as usual].


In the news..
Fieldfares and Redwing on the wing - heard passing over work now that starts are well into darkness all mornings this week - also a big flock of Woodpigs past out the canteen window on Tuesday [with a Sprawk heading in their direction - she'll have been lucky..! ] and thrush spp. also seen moving.

The local owls have been yarking mightily most nights, sometimes extending into daylight. A fair mix of genders [where discernible] involved. Tit bands well-formed and mobile, with at least one small phyllosc in my immediate area [once again], though I've yet to pin it down*

Wow. It's a container ship...




Right, I need to get on those pretty fungii.


Be Seeing You..




[[*It will be YBW, it's always YBW, but I have to check.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment