03 November, 2017

Playing With Ouzels


Long-term readers [or those daft enough to archive binge] may recall that every Autumn, I like to refresh my fieldcraft against the winter thrushes of Dartmoor. Today I had the chance to do so in more vexing circumstances than usual - unfamiliar ground, adverse light, and lots of interference from various 'birders', who mostly tried the 'walk down the middle of the field' technique - one even with a big shaggy dog running about the place.

Yes, I paid a visit to Emsworthy, as there had been reports of Ouzels, and I'd been meaning to have a look at the place for months and months.. I figured a weekday afternoon would be quiet. Oops.

On the plus side, I met some of the usual suspects on their way out [they knew what walls are for, so actually saw things], and got gen of not only Ouzels but Hawfinches [where have they all come from???]. Said finches flew over me, and while the calls were nice and clear, the gits were up sun.. :(

Right, then. I'll keep this brief;

Emsworthy;

Note foreground
[yes, I'm using a wall as cover..!]

Many Fieldfares present, typically flighty when disturbed - to be fair, the Sprawk didn't help matters!

Flight shot

As were the Ouzels

In tree

On Tor

Plus photobombing Golden Plovers!

I did say Ouzels, right?


Ok, all so far so typical. Distant Ouzels, alert and generally unrelaxed. There were at least four present; three plus adults and one plus juvenile.


Now for the eternal lesson.

Patience. Persistence. A smidge of fieldcraft.

Ring Ouzel




You don't need a ghilly suit; just be low, slow, and quiet. Let the birds come to you.

Eyeing up tea

Here endeth the lesson.



Be Seeing You..



No comments:

Post a Comment