10 November, 2017

The Sic! Sound Of Failure


Yes, I have posts [posts plural, oh dear] owing. No, this is not one of them.

This afternoon after work, I took a wander over to Haldon to try to do something I've never before succeeded at; photograph Hawfinch.

Seeing as I've not seen any on the deck for years - and only well waaaaaaaay back when I went up to Bruton [remember that one?] - this is unsurprising. Getting flyovers - usually while vismigging - and those far less than annually, is not conducive to getting piccies.

So, hearing that they were back at the Old Place, I couldn't resist. I'd not been right down to the Hawfinch Pond  for something silly like 15 years..* It had changed a bit. For one thing, without a satellite shot, you can't even see the frickin' pond any more.....!! [[I feel so old it hurt to look at it, I tell you...]]

Hawfinches were indeed present. First time I'd actually connected there! Woo! I had a flock of 7 fly over me four times, plus two more shoot past low down [which would have made an insane picture if I'd had my camera in hand, and it worked, and I had superhuman reflexes..]



I did see almost all the finches [no Serins, for some reason... Or Grotfinch, either! ;) ], and it was lovely down there. I ended up wandering far and wide. then my last sighting was as I got back to my car - they went over and I juust missed with the camera.

Ok, enough blabbing. On their second flypast, I DID hit them. Well, five of the seven, shot almost from the hip. Here you go;

All going right and away - note truncated rears

Awful, right? Utter not-so-little gits, they were.

Siskin were better;

That's how to do it

Some scenery;








Pylons are art.


More birds!


Buzzards it will focus on..



Australian Siskin



Will I be back? Surely. Despite the changes for the worse, there is still an awful lot of the good there.




Be Seeing You..



[[*My more recent visits have been the odd attempt at seeing what's soaring from what's left of the viewpoint, being almost run down by cyclists and being annoyed by segways.. Experience may have left some judice.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment