01 May, 2019

Long Hot Weekend. Pt. 4, Going Cuckoo...


In which I went up onto t'Moor in search of pretty Summer migrants and was driven slightly nuts by their misbehaviour...


So, the weather was a little less helpful than the day before, with a fresh breeze [to put it mildly] making life a lot more difficult. But hey, what can you do?

I ambled about a lot, used cunning tactics, [such as 'find a good spot and stay put'] and yes I did connect with what I sought, but actually getting photographic type proof? Ho hum...

Well, we shall see.

Vitifer



Where else?


It was one of those frustrating days when you always seem to be a couple of hundred yards short of where you need to be. I could tell this as a chap with a big camera was in said needed place; no matter which way I turned, how fast or slow I was, he popped up zapping away at stuff I could barely see in the distance, time and time again. It got quite ridiculous.

Eventually he went home and I was able to see some birds at less than dot range, but the Sun was westering fast [that's an evening shot up there], so.. Well, what can you do but [try to] shrug philosophically and take it like a birder...

This is not to say I have nothing but dots coming up, but well, nothing super fancy that isn't a Willow Warbler [so many of them about that probability was against them!]

Right;

Willow Warbler

"Got any sammiches??"

"Talk to the tail"

Siskin!

Juvenile Crossbill

Female with two juveniles

:)

Is that a Masked Shrike?
[No, it's a Whinchat.]

Second Whinchat.
Slightly closer, but resolutely 
looking the other way

Mayfly

Pond Skater
[with less fortunate Mayfly..]

Tiger Beetle

White-tailed Bumblebee

Another showy Willow Warbler




Almost all of the good ones up there came from a golden hour when the sun came out and the wind eased off - co-incidentally after the crowds had gone - when it was properly lovely. The nice thing about being able to stay out into the evening. :)


Well, that at last is the end of the long weekend.
Coming up; more Patch News, though as of my typing this, no Swifts yet :(


Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment