11 March, 2020

Ignoring The Weather


Because while patience is a virtue, especially in birding, so is persistence.

This means having had enough of the weather and going out anyway.


Wandering back to the weekend before last; I took a couple of visits to what is, I understand, to be known as 'Dartmoor'. I suppose being theoretically cryptical lets me say names I wouldn't otherwise, but well-publicised sites and so on.. But nm.


The first part was undertaken in windy drizzle and gunk on Friday, and you'll know what's coming so we'll gloss over that bit; as I didn't think it was that bad at the time [once it stopped hurting too much to think, anyway..].

I was hunting a yeartick, naturally, and I went to a place I know which is good when the rivers are up. They were up, oh yes, and I even found one!

But, no, no 'Found what?' 'found this!' photo.

:(

This is due to a blimmin' suv turning up at exactly the wrong moment and flushing it.. Grr.

Flushed by an suv?? Yup, there is a place where you can see Dippers from a road. Close to and everything. Oh well.
Also at same location two - two! - Kingfishers and a Grey Wag. The Kingfishers were busy chasing each other around, but the Wag was more relaxed.

Grey Wagtail
Striking a pose

Dartmoor Daffydowndillies

All very scenic

Told you the river was frisky

Stonefly [Dinocras cephalotes?]

Second trip had more sunshine but also quite a lot more rain - the two alternating with annoying frequency - but also more showing things.

Marsh Tit

Double Siskins

Great Tit

Coal Tit with bling

Triple Tit Comparison!

Very scenic

Nom nom nom

Peekaboo

Elsewhere...

Pair of Mandarin
 on the Duck Pond

Said Duck Pond



Right, time for some proper shots...distant soaring things!!! Heh heh...

Spot the dot

Spot it...?

See this one??

Yeah, camera vs mutli-klick soaring..er..'birds' is not easy.

Oh well.

Fruiting bodies are much easier, being both closer and far less able to dodge!

S. spumeus?

Bitter Oysterling


Bay Polypore


It's just all too pretty...


Ok, ok, enough already. Yes, I saw two new for the year but failed utterly to get photons on record. Tut to me.

It's getting annoyingly regular, as shall be seen...

But that's a moan for another post.


In the mean time, ooh purdy things. Those tits in the bright post-rain sunshine were something else. I may have to do another gratuitous tit shots post...

[Oh no]


Be Seeing You...


No comments:

Post a Comment