06 April, 2021

Finding My Own Birds.


Being unable to go off and have fun - as healing is a valid thing to do - I have still been able to do some birding.

Even at work, as my geriatric-style car entrance on Thursday kept me there long enough for a House Martin to fly over, calling away merrily.

Vaguely shiny lining.
 
Things got better. See?
 
Who needs brown and white swifts anyway?
 


I did not even unlock the door on Friday, staying in with Iain M Banks and the skygarden lot [not one Nuthatch all day....]. But we got a post out of it.


Saturday I resolved to gain exercise and the Goddess of Birding duly rewarded me for going out when few others dared the icy blast. :)

Most notably, my first Willow Warbler of the year in the Top Dell. :)  Marked increase in singing Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps, but no other migrants aside from flyover Linnets [just 3].


Sunday morning I was over again and this time a long scour of the Top Dell gave some gold, with a very brief and sneaky Reed Warbler! :D It was a male as it then, after a good ten minute wait, gave me a serenade of subsong [which I had to look up when I got home, as it's not something I hear all the time!]. Alas it stayed hidden in the Dell's extensive hidey bits, despite all the sunshine, though when I went back for another go with PD a Willow Warbler did give us some nice views, and our first 3 Swallows of the year came over!
 
Even better, I tried a snapshot and actually hit!

Super-cropped super Swallow!!

Woo.
 
[[Of note, despite being there all morning, neither of us had a sniff of any buntings of any kind. Singing Greenfinch, yes... O:) ]]


In the afternoon, the new rules allowed a first family get-together [of sorts] of the year! We met up with SisterTheEvenYounger at a Certain Place near t'Moor and had a socially distanced amble, with coffee and spiced flapjacks [I can still bake :) ]. The Little Black Dog was quite beside herself at being out in the wilds with the pack at last, and we had a good time too.

Small stripey piping things were heard in three spots [yes, three; they're not just There, you know!] though proved far too sneaky for any camera. Other birds were friendlier, but this is for another post.


Monday saw an attack of apathy, but after the sun came out, I finally defeated it and got to the Nose. Good job too, as after much not finding anything, a late afternoon check of the Landing Pad paid off. Five Wheatears, with two more in/off while I was there! :D [As have I said to others, a sunny afternoon there can pay dividends... :) ]

Behold, Wheatears!


Wheatears
[they moved to the South Side, too!]

Up close

Middle distance




Heh heh heh.

Coming up, I still need to show you assorted bugs and flowerses. Also more birds, I think? Yes, I think so. I have not very good phyllosc comparison shots and everything! [Uh oh....]


Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment