30 April, 2021

Getting Back Out There. Part 3; Picking Up The Scope


Actual birding! Gasp!

After walking about with increasingly large rucksacks over increasing distances and roughness of ground, it was time for more.
The big scope had the dust blown off it and - albeit in rucksack, not over shoulder - carried about Exminster in search of assorted birdies.

Things did not go particularly well, as while there were assorted warblers on great voice if not sight, my attempts to find such things as Yellow Wagtail, Swift, Hobby, Garganey, Ruddy Shelduck, White-fronted Goose, Egyptian Goose, and even frickin' Cattle Egret [any one of the 40-odd...] ended in failure, despite being there all morning.

[Insult well and truly added when Someone Who Shall Not Be Named turned up as I was leaving and got the lot.... ::Cue; Muttley::]

I did see a passage migrant honest which I'm putting up as it's the closest best shot I've ever got of one, even though I can't name it;

Greenshank, too.

 
Also got my best ever shot of an Orange Tip;

Spot the butterfly...

Yes, really.

They are utter buggers. [Even Brimstones stop sometimes...]
 
Far easier to photo are pretty flowers;
 
Cornflower
 
Cuckooflower

See?  :)


In the afternoon I  did not go straight back for revenge as I'm not chasing a Devon Yearlist went over to the Nose, where I found sfa. I'd had hopes of Whimbrel lingering on the Lead Stone, or indeed Whitethroats, but nope. Zip.
Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs and standard finches.

[[Ho hum, hearken to the birder who despite not living by an estuary has had Osprey out his window again moan about not seeing good birds.....!]]



Even more to come, peoples, at some point hopefully within a week of the events depicted [you never know, might happen...]. Including photos of actual birds and maybe even seeing something for the first time this year on Patch... [Yes, he does sort of seem to be sticking after that Patch Yearlist.... gasp]


Anyways, I shall


Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment