12 April, 2022

Wild Duck Chase


Reports of a nice Green-winged Teal at the Backwater had me scurrying over straight from work on Saturday [Oh yes...].


Reader, I dipped him.



::Many Ancient Devonian swear-words::

Ahem.
 
Some scenery;

Bridge Marsh

Wrong Teal

Those two were the only Teal of any flavour I saw at all, even though on the 'right' scrape.
 
Drat and double drat and so on.

A singing Willow Warbler was but a nutmeg of consolation, and to be fair it was good to just be over there. The Backwater is wonderful birding country, with hides designed by people who have an actual clue [take notes rspb], and a great crew of locals. Speaking of, running into Bun was worth the trip on its own [wotcher, mate!]  :)

The Black Hole,
from the Farm Gate

Eventually giving up, I took a scenic route home and while I saw exactly zero owls of any flavour, I was rewarded with a nice Grey Partridge 'somewhere east of the Exe'.



Scarcities and rares are what get you a big yearlist [the 'usual 200' just take persistence], so this had to be tried. Hopefully he'll be back in the far end of the year.



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment