06 September, 2019

Double Trouble II; Out For A Pair


Because we're talking boobies here...

[Oh dear oh dear oh dear..]


Another of the four [four! FOUR!?!??] Brown Boobies knocking about the area has been swanning about the Kynance Cove area of the Lizard! and seeing as everybody else has been back after it, it seemed only right to join in. And it would help to prevent the twitter bitching to have a photo - usable if not brilliant - of something that wasn't a Gannet.

The trip down, despite a nice early [aaaargh] start, was a real mare, with all the roadblocks - metaphorical and literal - you could think of. At least the tractor pulled over eventually. So, very later than intended I got to the site, went 'aaaargh' at how much the NT think is a reasonable charge for a site with no other access than the Coast path [just], paid it anyway, then got to the twitch to find the bird had just started flying around.

About three tons lifted off my shoulders - pressed right into my back as I stood on a clifftop in a hoolie... - as I opened fire;

"Itsa Gannet"

:D

Blue-nosed Booby

Wonderful photography..

"It went thattaway"

Clifftop twitchers looking at the little rock [leftmost one] where the BB used to perch. Not today.

I know, let's toddle off and get an angle to see it. It can't be that hard; the furthest headland [you can see it up there] isn't that distant, is it?

Ah, the coast path, or 'sea path' as it is at one point...

Kynance Cove

Looking back

Spot the Booby

It is there. 11 o'clock from the Shag. See it?

Then it went for another fly around. The mobile twitch followed. I reasoned about trying to catch flying birds on foot, plus that climb, and said 'stuff that'. I moved a little bit closer and settled down with rations and an eye on the sea. Manxies were passing, and attention picked out a Sooty and a Bonxie among them.

Then the Booby came back.

Itsa Cormorant*

"What is that guy going on about??"

Choughs!

"So you've got your stone, now fly up over a human.. 
10pts for a hit, 5pts for a miss that makes them jump, 
50pts if you break something expensive!!"

Looking for photographers to tease

Closest I've had to a male HH in too many years..

Obducted oceanic crust!

Highlight of the day :D

Rather than more birding, or offering more kilos of specie to the NT, I decided to head homeward, being a little frazzled. I still stopped off, but I didn't feel up for dodging light aircraft, so I hit Dozmary on the off chance something had blown in.

Much fuller than Colliford

 Swallows and pipits blew over, but the waterside was empty [very mobile dog walkers don't help..] and on the water, 5 Mallard, 4 Teal, 1 Tufty and a couple of these;

Little Grebe


So, I type this in my shirt of an appropriate nature - even though they're Blue-footed not Brown - with the not utterly impossible hope of one of those ones [maybe that Masked???] turning up sat on the Lead Stone one day soon. Hey, I can dream.

Brown Booby!!

They do sometimes come true, don't they?


Be Seeing You...


[[*Note for inland birders; we get a lot of white-bellied juv. Cormorants, and Shags, down this way. They're not anything fancy.]]

No comments:

Post a Comment