14 September, 2019

Here Be Dragons


Yes, a dragonfly post in September.


So, you may recall that not that long ago I went a' hunting Black Darters up the Avon, with no luck at all. I said I'd be back, and well, I was.


Not exactly there, though. I figured I'd do it properly and hit one of the last really good spots for dragons on the Moor. It perhaps maintains this due to being right in the middle of said Moor and surrounded by bogs! :)

The weather was both cloudier and especially windier than forecast - of course - but that merely made things harder, not impossible. The hordes of fun runners were a little more vexing, but they weren't everywhere and at least took their flags with them when they were done.

Anyways, I was after Black Darter, and maybe Common Hawker if they were feeling helpful. [Small Red Damselfly should be there but I've never found it.]

How did I do?

Black Darter, male

Not bad. :)

Black Darter, female

Striking a pose

Pair in wheel position

I actually heard these two; all those wings made quite a racket as they landed!

Using me as a windbreak!

I was sat down, having lunch as out of the wind as I could, when he swanned up and posed an interesting challenge to photo...

But not as big a challenge as these;
male Common Hawker

Females far more obliging

Lovely

Catching some rays

Finally caught on camera;
a Horrible Hairy Fly!

These are the annoying ones who live on hilltops, and on sunny windy days land on your head and vibrate disturbingly....

Small Tortoiseshell

Not seen many of these this year.

Scenery;

Looking out from White Barrow

The Redlake and the Heap

Very pretty weather, 
but not ideal for odonata

Wheatear

Mipit

Wheatear
[Three Barrows]

Sprawk!

Uncertain
[not the moth!]

From above this looked like an old waxcap,
but the stem says no

Scurfy Deceiver
[It's always a deceiver!]

Heath Waxcap
[until it isn't :) ]

The wind stirs the grass

Nature's Art


I had a good long yomp [about 14 miles], got some pretty decent pics, and generally had quite a lot of fun.

Good day.


Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment