01 March, 2021

Blackball Blobs



On my way to visit my support bubble, I couldn't avoid detouring out of the way of large parties of assorted sorts, and found myself overlooking Blackball at roosting time.

Oh, what are the odds?

Having a camera to hand [you're allowed!] and certainly-not-a-great-big-scope-officer-honest, I had a lookit at what was about.


Joy of joys, birds! And not just the Usual Suspects!


Guess how many GNDs I ended up counting?

That's riiiiiiight. 21.

Funny, that. [See that last post]


Far more GC Grebes - yes, actual grebes! - in usually more distant rafts. 58, in fact. Also 2 RTDs as well as the expected scattering of auks.

Not bad, considering how calm it was and it being just a fleeting visit [no staying to near dark, counting incoming gulls for me..]


Cue, the Horror;

GND


Raft of GNDs


Raft of GC Grebes
[really]
[[Those are smaller and further away, Dougal...]]


Gulls.
[The one in front is quite different, but can you see that?]

[[I know, I know, you can't. It's a pity, but what can you do? {Take it on trust that it's very dusky about the back of the head and visible underparts, graelsii grey on top, with a dark bill contrasting a paler face - lightest bit - and long all black primaries....?? (Ie. horribly like a 2w Laughing)     Nope, didn't think so. } ]]


Noted:
39 Common Gulls in a raft to themselves, also 17 Kittiwake but no sign of any BHG. 240+ large gulls when I left, which was still early for them as they were only just starting to arrive in any numbers. No idea as to the number roosting [could be 250, could be 2000+...]
When we're allowed to loiter with scopetent [sorry].. it'll probably be too late in the year.
But you never know, right?



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment