04 December, 2021

One Day's Birding. Pt.3, The Big Finale


After all the fun with the Snow Bunting, it was getting a bit dusky at Slapton. I wandered into Ireland Bay, looking for a nice viewpoint to finish my coffee and munch a biccie of the choccy variety. However, I kept going and going due to restricted views and so on until I reached the Ireland viewing platform, which was occupied; something I was not expecting at that hour.

Huh???


Oh right, Starlings.
 
Hmm. Well, as you can see from the view, it did seem like a good day for them;

Ireland Bay at dusk



Oh, look....

A few Starlings

A few more...

...more of that 'few'.

I wasn't alone enjoying the view;

Black-necked Grebes

Also the odd civilian.
 

The Starlings put on what was the best display I've ever seen outside of The Levels, certainly in terms of numbers! I counted one component flock of at least 10,000 [total closer to 11k, but I always round down] and there were at least high 5 if not 6 figures present [hopefully someone in a better viewpoint {I was close but restricted, as you can see} will have made a good total].

Oh boy but it was good!

Murmuring away

Just one or two...


At first they were dropping into the reeds on the seaward side of the main Ley, near the Monument CP, but then they decided no, not there. A river of Starlings streamed into Ireland Bay, skimming the water and undulating over wildfowl trying to roost!

Autofocus blur strikes again...

This went on and on. 
The Starlings roosted in the main reeds, east of the Quarry and very close to the path. Oh, they were noisy! It was wonderful, standing under trees and looking into the reed edge, seeing nothing but hearing everything...
:D



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment