02 December, 2021

One Day's Birding. Pt.2, Finding Other Peoples' Birds


After a lovely time with the Folks and a slice of cake, I swanned off to the South to look for birds other people had found [having again failed to find any good ones of my very own...  ::Sniff:: ]


Finding just one or two of Devon's Finest at Beesands, I was also pleased to find a trio of yankees. They were less pleased to see me and promptly hid. In a corner. Behind reeds and upSun from the only clear-ish view of them.


Not that that stopped me from waiting them out. A bit.

It was BOGOF day
on Lesser Scaup

Ring-necked Duck resorts
to showing a bit of leg in
desperate bid for attention...

Black Swan doing much better

Displaying and showing off that lovely voice. 
 
[Yes, I like Black Swans. No, I don't think they're any less valid than Canada Geese, Mandarins, or Little Owls; I've seen the cygnets myself.]


Nasty and nice

I'd trade Mutes for Blacks without hesitation; prettier, pleasanter on the ears, and far less psychopathic...

Just the one Pochard

Also 39+ Tufty, 24+ Gadwall. No sign of the reported Brent Goose, plenty of Canadas, though. 3 regular-flavour Chiffchaffs along the Willows to the hide.


"I'm not coming closer"

 
There is more to life than recalcitrant Lesser Scaup, so I went up to Slapton to see about that SnoB. 

'Just South of the Monument car park' they said. 'You can't miss it' they said. 'Shows wonderfully' they said.

What SnoB???

I worked south past the enclosures and back along path and beach with not a sniff of anything but a Rockit and a Mipit.

Hmm.


What about North of the car park?


Ah;

Snow Bunting

Silverback

On the Ley, a couple of BN Grebes were upSun, next to it, a couple of Cetti's were typically vocal and at sea, a lone male Common Scoter showed an amount of yellow on his bill only exceeded by his distance offshore.

Maximum zoom plus heavy cropping...

[I think that's possibly my worst ever shot put on this blog. I'm almost proud of it.....]

Let's see something better;

"Om-nom-nom-nom-nom"


So, I had hit my targets and the day was drawing to a close. What to do? What to do?


[Wait for Part Three, of course...]



Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment