27 January, 2022

Exebashing


I went into the weekend with yearticks and vengeance on my mind. Appropriately, it was rather nippy.

The Exe area caught the focus of my attention, from Dart's Farm [ok, technically the Clyst, I suppose] arcing down to Powderham. Having given it a good go at the start of the month [with rather mixed results], I needed to go back and get everything I'd missed on my wild swan and goose chases....


Hmm, where to begin?

Spotshank, third bite.

Not bad? Yeah, not bad viewing at all. :D
This off the Goatwalk, after v.2 on Bowling Green and v.1 from Turf!
[When they show, they show...]
 

ZzzzzzZZZzzzzz

Not only Spotshank showing nicely,

Avocet, Turf

Not a yeartick, but so wonderful to see so close.
Unlike,

Flushing Machine
Marsh Harrier


I had had a few birds in particular on my mind, escapees from the first day's attempts.

Many were... Recalcitrant.


The Great White Egret which has been lurking about the area avoided me totally, and the Ruff proved quite ridiculously hard to spot, with a vigil from the Middle gate finally getting it on the second day - in flight! - while the even more elusive Merlin proved just that.
The Pink-footed and White-fronted Geese, and even the Glossy Isbis [which I scoped close to the railway path from the towpath; on the other side of Exminster!], all already yearticked, all showed to me, though. 


As to those bleeping Egyptian Geese, which had caused me such grief on the 1st.... Well, they were perhaps even naughtier. Eventually I used the whole 'double back twice' trick to catch a couple out, right off way way at the back of Powderham Castle's grounds. Vengeance!
So way way back they were, that even I won't inflict blobs on you. Aren't I considerate? 

Instead, some other sights;

Not the big white bird I was looking for...


Brian's grandson was into Sepultura
[yes, this was the most interesting thing at Dart's..]
 

Much prettier than a Gyppo


It was good to see the odd familiar face around and abouts, too. Most notably cooing over the Spotshank off the Goatwalk.


After that, we have one day to catch up on. In a radical shift, I decided to stop chasing yearticks in particular and put some time in up on t'Moor [where, of course, assorted birds do lurk...]

Until then,

Be Seeing You...

No comments:

Post a Comment